[vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”9265″ img_size=”large” alignment=”center”][vc_column_text]When our friends at The Collective sent us some of their delicious yoghurts to play around with, we decided to make a classic chocolate cake but with a twist or two of our own…
Ingredients for the cake:
200g pureed beetroot (boil then peel and puree)
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
130g dark chocolate (70% cocao solids)
125g self-raising flour
3 eggs separated
80ml rapeseed oil
100g Straight Up plain yoghurt from The Collective
100g caster sugar
Ingredients for the topping:
65g Straight Up plain yoghurt from the The Collective
100g Cream Cheese
Nim’s Beetroot Crisps (taken from a pack of Nim’s Beetroot & Parsnip vegetable crisps)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Grease and line an 8 inch tin.
- Break the chocolate into chunks and whilst the oven is pre-heating pop it in the oven in a heat-proof bowl for just a few minutes to melt. Pop the beetroot puree in a separate dish in the oven to warm through slightly for a few minutes too.
- Mix together the beetroot, chocolate and ginger and leave to one side.
- Next sift the flour and salt together into a bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolks, rapeseed oil, yoghurt and sugar together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Now it’s time to combine the 3 mixtures by folding carefully – First fold in the flour into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the egg whites, then finally carefully fold in the beetroot / chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes (check after 40 minutes and adjust time if necessary)
When it is completely cool, you can beat the topping ingredients together (with the exception of the Nim’s Beetroot Crisps) and using a palette knife spread over the top of the cake. Then simply decorate with our beautiful beetroot crisps.
The yogurt and pureed beetroot in this cake helps to give it a moist fudgy texture. And although this cake should be big enough to share – watch out as everyone will be back for second helpings!
[/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image=”9264″ img_size=”large” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row]